Thursday, March 25, 2010


I'm sorry if the posts have seemed a bit sporadic in the last week - I have been very busy in the studio during the day designing our next Cartolina collection - there's not a lot of energy left, at the end of a 10 hour day, for blogging at the moment - I try to post only that which has inspired me. I took some pictures yesterday when I was taking a little break from designing. Just grabbed a few things. It was a little dark in the afternoon for lovely saturated colours but here's a sample . . . . the first is of my favourite little tins - these are very small and I love the type on them. The largest tin is very old and is hand painted on the top. Second grouping is a selection of french letters that I have - the handwriting inspires me everyday. they sit in a glass jar next to my computer. . . .


The last 2 groupings are an odd selection really. Here's a brief description of each piece - 2 miniature drawings from Switzerland that Doug picked up at a local farm sale. Two handcarved wooden boats that we found in the walls of a Victorian house that we renovated a few years ago(along with a pile of love letters.) Very long paper scissors, razer sharp, watch out! A wooden arrow shaped thingy for fixing fishing nets, why don't you? A pair of real tortoiseshell glasses from a long time ago. A cloisonee plate and 2 wee blue enamel dishes. Red prayer beads we bought in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul years ago. Two speckled eggs from a bird(?). A lovely vintage metal horse that I stole from Doug's studio :-)

9 comments:

GOSIA said...

wow! this collection is awesome: a lot of room for imagination, don't you think?

AnnaVallance said...

Love your groupings. It's amazing that after all the work you do you still find time to post such beautiful and inspiring photos.

Linda said...

What lovely little treasures. And..I recognize most of them.

fanciful devices said...

It's amazing you own so many beautiful things. Makes me wonder if I could create such compositions. It's not just having such lovely objects (the one envelope that's made of ledger paper?!!!!!!!) but the background, light, arrangement, skill.....
You have an amazing eye. Your posts are still much more frequent that most and definitely worth waithing for!

Fiona Cartolina said...

Thank you for those comments ladies - that means a lot to me. I love blogging - I seriously love everything I post here - but I also run a full time business - so very occasionally I find that I have bitten off more than I can chew - like this week! The new cards are all finished - yay! But I have to start on all new notebook designs on Monday(and between now and then I have to fill a very large order for the UK that came in this morning!) I need more hours in every day because I love what I do - i just want to do more and more of it!
Thanks - I appreciate your comments everyday :-D
Fiona

turning pages said...

Love your collection of vintage stuff. The tins are beautiful. I've got a small collection of my own and the small tins always catch my eye.
I just discovered your blog and I love it!

I understand the difficulty of having a full time business and keeping up with everything. I also wish there were more hours in a day... or it would also be nice if I could do without sleep.

Patty said...

Your collections are so amazing, I try to collect vintage but I never seem to find anything as great as these.

ks said...

I love these posts. Your collections of things are just as beautiful and interesting as the ones you post by others. Can't wait to see the new cards :)

Debra said...

Big or small, a little or a lot, all that you share brightens my day and gets those creative wheels turning. Merci!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin