Sunday, August 2, 2009

Repost | Inspiration | Vintage Indian Textiles
It's no secret that my work is really influenced by my grandparents' textile export business in India years ago. So I was excited when I found these wonderful images of Indian textiles here. These detail shots give me all sorts of good ideas for patterns and textures - I love the crude random stitching and the once rich colours faded to muted tones. I could look at these images all day. 







We interrupt this post with a photo of my grandma on an elephant in India - we have so many elephant riding pictures in our old family photos it must have been a very popular past time!

NOTE: This post was originally posted last year. I am repeating some of our most popular posts this week while I am on vacation - hopefully I will come up with a few new ones this week too. Hope you enjoy these textiles as much as I do.

7 comments:

jasmine said...

oh my GOSH! that is the cutest photo i have ever seen. i am a total elephant nut, so i just got really excited. :) your grandparents must have the coolest stories! and those textiles are gorgeous.

this is my first time here. i absolutely love your cards and notebooks! they're gorgeous. glad i stumbled upon your blog! :)

shawn said...

Love love love indian textiles/art.You must have a wonderful trove of fabrics....lucky you.I too collect indian sari's but I have nothing like this.Gorgeous!

Italo said...

Frames, old pictures, so nice to see them!

easr said...

I started reading this entry and thought "I've read this before!!" - then I saw the note at the end of your post :)

I studied Indian art and lived in India on 2 occasions... I am SO envious of your pedigree :) your grandparents must have lived an amazing life!!

Pfeiffer Photos said...

Love the textiles! My husband's grandmother holds the travel stories in our family. She and her late husband used to travel aboard freighters all over the globe. She'll be 92 next week and we can't get enough of hearing about her travels from days gone by. Someday I hope she leaves us her photos and such from some of her travels.

Edward said...

Wonderful designs. I'm going to India myself soon and look forward to exploring the artistic side of the country. May even try and get a ride on an elephant although a crowded train is probably more realistic.

Chelsea said...

thanks for sharing this!!!! i just went to India but I didn't get to ride an elephant :( hope to next time tho!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin