Thursday, July 30, 2009

Road Trip, day 2.
We are still in Kelowna and heading off to Vancouver Island tomorrow morning. There are so many farmers markets, fruit stands and orchards here - an abundance of fresh produce. At any time you can find yourself driving behind a vintage farm truck loaded to the gills with apricots or a slow moving tractor hauling a trailer full of corn. My mum and I picked a bounty of Lapin cherries today at the U-Pick cherry orchard - what a nice change of pace after a busy month in the studio. I am looking forward to getting on the ferry tomorrow to the island - I'll take lots of pictures - and I think I have finally figured out how to get my Iphone images onto Twitter.

I took this picture today at my parent's house. My parents have a huge collection of paintings and this is my dad's favourite. Doug painted this enormous painting for him about 15 years ago and it hangs in their dining room. He painted this in his granny's root cellar on her farm and I think it's wonderful - I hope you like it too.

12 comments:

fashion jewelry said...

wonderful~

Emilie said...

What a lovely painting.

Judith said...

Please tell Doug I love this painting, particuarly all the marvelous detail and color in the wall. I hope Doug still paints, he uses color so well. Both of you are so very talented!

Italo said...

This painting is beautiful. COlours, atmosphere. All. Very compliments. Italo.

shawn said...

gorgeous painting....reminiscent of old masters.Love the lighting....Does Doug still paint?Hope he has time to.

pinkbathtub said...

Fantastic!

Sympathetic Threads said...

Somehow I missed the fact that your were from BC until you mentioned Kelowna! I am a Floridian but I've spent one week each of these past three years in the spring visiting Vancouver. Such a beautiful area! I was sorry to not go back this year.

Julie said...

Wow! What a beautiful painting!

Sherol Vinhas said...

Tenho passado por aqui sepre bem quietinha rsrs mas hoje tenho que te dizer uma coisa, ganhei meu primeiro selinho e quero compartilhar com você.Passa lá e pegue, também é seu e assim aproveita pra ver as peças novas.
bjs

andrea of ffft said...

LOL, I am going to post photos of my mothers garden tomorrow... I love it. She moved into this house in June and it was too late in her mind to even bother with it so she literally tossed her seed collection in and let things do whatever they pleased. She has a lovely herb (weed) collection going and somehow a random sunflower and a few bits of pink cosmos... her Dukobour neighbours are probably laughing themselves silly! We have pulled a truckload of cherries and berries out of this place already though... mmmmmmm pies, jam, tarts... we have even made beetroot/zucchini cake. This painting is exactly how this summrer feels so far.

My what a talented household you are... hope you have a phenomenal trip... see if you can fit in Sooke Potholes!
A

Brittany Noel said...

This painting is absolutely stunning! It feels like the old Dutch paintings, which I love. He definitely is a talented man; you guys are a perfect match :)


Also, this is exactly what I want my root cellar to look like when I'm a grandma!

brand-eye said...

wow, that is fantastic!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin