Friday, March 20, 2009

Fan Tan Tastic
I'd like to show you these boxes that I bought at Fan Tan Market at the weekend. They are vintage Chinese and they are so pretty. Fan Tan Market, not to be confused with Fan Tan Gallery, is a rabbit's warren of a store that you enter on Fisgard St and you exit into the dark and spooky narrowness of Fan Tan Alley(below)! They stock every Chinese import you can imagine from cheap little plastic whistles to vintage silk lanterns all piled high in an ancient cave-like space. Anyone who's been there(Hanna?) knows what I am talking about - it's brilliant fun!


Here are a couple of pictures of Fan Tan Alley - it's as creepy and cool as it looks.


The boxes remind me of the 1930s Shanghai posters that we found last summer at that local yard sale. The posters are about 20 years older than my new boxes, I think. I still love these posters - I see them on Ebay now and then but they get snapped up really fast.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous boxes. I have one that I just love and I'm keeping little treasures in it.

jenni.t said...

Those boxes are fantastic - what size are they? It's hard to tell. I wish I could find great stuff like that :-)

cartolina said...

Hi Jenni - the boxes are the size of small shoe boxes and very sturdy as my pal Linda(above) can confirm(because I gave her one!)
Glad you like them jenni - thanks for visiting!
f.

Miss B said...

Gosh you never cease to amaze me with your treasure hunting...

xx,

Miss B.

andrea of ffft said...

God how I miss that place. I have found the most amazing tidbits in there. I would go to the girl at the counter with really bizarre ideas for props for photo shoots and she would always dig up something better than I had anticipated. I love how they have the display of the gamblers set up, or used to...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin