Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Botanical posters
I know I featured these botanical posters before but, at that time, I noticed that they were not easy to find online - I couldn't find a vendor for these anywhere. Well these, and many others, are now available here along with a lot of other strange, but kinda interesting stuff. These are not reproductions they are still currently being produced by the same people in Germany who have been producing them since the 1950's. They are very good quality - mounted on canvas backing and have wooden dowles at either end. I think that most of them have black backgrounds because they were hung over the chalk boards at schools and rolled down for science class (we had these at our school, I think they had been there for years because they were a bit ratty.) These are very cool and would look great decorating kids rooms, sun porches, kitchens maybe. They are available at Evolution(in Soho NY) which is a strange little curiosity shop stuffed to the gills with weird but interesting "specimens". The last time I posted these I had no response at all from readers. Am I the only person that thinks these are way cool (do you think they are slightly creepy?  - you can tell me!)


9 comments:

brooke said...

You aren't crazy - these are fantastic!

Hi Octane Jewelry said...

I love the black backgrounds. Stunning.

marzi said...

i love the first one, but i'm not as crazy about the other two. i would totally hang that first one in our sunroom!

cartolina said...

Good, glad I'm not the only one who loves these. I wish I could find an original one in a flea market(I always ask ephemera vendors if they ever come across them).
Thanks for your comments!
f.

Ryan said...

I love these too.
I've seen them in the past at Anthropologie, but I was in the process of moving so didn't buy any. Usually I just content myself with buy botanical print calendars then ripping out my favorite pages.

Brittany Noel said...

I've always loved botanical prints. I must've missed your last post about them! The more scientific, the better! But, they still have to look artful.

Natalie said...

Thanks for posting about these lovely images - I loved that Elle Decor cover from a few years ago. There is something intriguing about the black backgrounds - mysterious in a good way!

Prism Design said...

Ahhh, I've been searching for a source for these for-ever. Thank you. The only place I've found something similar is Design-Legacy and they are wholesale online so you can look but need to buy from a shop.

Love the graphics. Never creepy to me. Odd is good.

The Weeping Willow said...

These are wonderful. I love the work of Ernst Haeckel and other early naturists/artists and scientists. I especially love the old drawings of human anatomy, before photography. I don't think it's creepy at all. It's historical and full of art and creativity! Thanks for sharing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin