Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Inspiration - Avoca

I went to my favourite boutique in Nelson the other day and I saw this coat. It was so stunning and beautifully made - I was quite intrigued. Joanne, who owns the store, told me all about the manufacturer - Avoca - and I was smitten. Avoca is Ireland's oldest woollen mill - founded in 1723 - good grief!. I grew up in an area of Scotland which was all about woollen mills so I know how important they are to a rural economy. I went to Avoca's website, read about their history and became even more obsessed with their brand. They have a mill, gardens, a restaurant, cafes and a shop. all in Avoca Village - the history is fascinating. They produce woollens, soaps, books, ceramics - you name it - you must go right now and check them out - you will be inspired to put your best creative foot forward today!





12 comments:

Alison said...

The Avoca store in Dublin is one of my favourite places in the whole world - well worth moving to Ireland for!!

Jane Flanagan said...

I used to love Avoca (have two of their blankets, all their cookbooks and missed their store and restaurant in Dublin & Powerscourt more than anything else in Ireland).

However, last time I was home I noticed that lots of their merch isn't at all made in Ireland, which was disappointing. I walked out empty-handed and feeling very much that they'd lost their way.

Cate said...

OMGosh just love it! First thing I looked at this morning , but why have I not heard of them before?

Laurie Grassi said...

Yes!! The blanket maker! Love, love, love their stuff! Saw it on a trip to Ireland a few years back. Would have bought something, but didn't see just the right colour combo (I am renowned for being famously picky: if it ain't just right, I ain't buyin' it!).

:) L

Lacey Lemmert said...

Gorgeous! I especially like the items you featured from their website.

Suzanne Cummings said...

Fiona,
This was a very inspiring post for me today. Thank you for compiling all the images and saving me time navigating their website. Of course I love all the floral and will probably work with flowers in the color of that coat this week.
Warmest,
Suzanne

Tara said...

I have been to the town of Avoca (where Ballykissangel was set!) but not the mill. Got to hit it up next time. Nexxxttt tiiiimmmmeee.... That is really up my alley.

lisaroyhandbags said...

I was just in the Dublin Avoca on Saturday and saw that very same coat! They've got some gorgeous things and the entire store is so inspiring :)

vadjutka said...

Thanks so much for sharing - I fell in love with this shop instantly!

Nantucket Mermaid said...

Wow! Thanks...Love it!

Pamela Angus said...

I LOVE their shop in Belfast - always make a point of visiting when I'm there!

Rachel Callaghan said...

I am totally, totally smitten. Just a tad sad I live on the other side of the world from their shop, however (NZ). Probably best for the bank balance in the long run....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin