Monday, June 28, 2010

Makeover - episode I

This is going to be the first of many posts featuring our pending living room makeover.
The commitment has been made and we are painting the whole place white - probably around the end of July. And, may I say, it's about time! Here are some before pictures. We live in the mountains, as you probably know, and it's all too easy to fall into a 'lodge' look whether you like it or not. We also live right next to the lake so I like to add vintage lake props into the decorating. But it's time to update the look and bring some fresh color back into our home.
The living space is very open plan. It flows into the kitchen. dining and hall area - even the stairwell. I'm excited to redecorate. We don't have a huge budget but I think we will replace the sofa, chair and ottoman, lighting, rugs and art. I was thinking about the new brighter and more colourful decorating plan and wondered what we can do with the TV armoire. It's a big piece of solid wood furniture. I don't want to give it up but we have agreed it can be painted. I'm excited to do this. We have a big green vintage cupboard in the entry that will look way better against a white wall so I'd like to paint the armoire a cool colour. Keep in mind I do not want a shabby chic look - I think the red example below would be a great choice or a a grey/green. What do you think?

The armoire in question - above.

The green cupboard in entryway(above) - this is a very tall piece, 5'5" tall.



The last blue cupboard is from House and Home, the others are from Pottery Barn, small red cupboard from Eco Furniture and the red Spanish armoire is from Haunt !

10 comments:

AnnaVallance said...

Wow, I just bought a pine armoire just like yours and was debating about painting it. All our other furniture is either pine or oak and our house is completely white. This is going to take a bit more thought.

Chantale said...

Sounds like an amazing makeover is about to begin! You have a gorgeous home already.. can't wait to see what the end result will be. I love the red AND blue/grey look for your armoire! Sorry, am no help there.

krys kirkpatrick said...

What a fun project. I love aqua and red together. The idea of white is great. Have fun

Adventures in Dressmaking said...

Yay, painting things white is always fresher! What an exciting project!
I have a friend who has almost exactly the same armoire and she considered painting hers yellow but couldn't commit to it, so painted it white. I love the idea of that turquoise--you could totally rock a color!

fancylinda said...

I like the dark red of the cabinet with the glass doors. That shade works well with other colors.

Di Overton said...

After what seems an age I am back in the fold.
New website DONE
New collaboration DONE
and at last a post telling everyone who I have been collaborating with. If you have a nosey gene, as I have, then pop over and see.
Hugs
Di
xo

andrea of ffft said...

I'm loving the green in that bench actually. I think I would go with turquoisy and use hits of red in the room. I agree, I am not a shabby chic person, but I love that Scandinavian look with all the liming. I would go with as much white as you can get away with (maybe just get a tailored slipcover made for the chair in white linen or even that same green as the bench... yes,that), use your fireplace as a focal because of the great stoney gray brown and put some turquoise and green in big pieces and red in pillows and vases etc. Also bring that stoney gray in. Maybe a big basket on top of the armoire, a side table of old barn wood. Not country, sparse, but natural. And red picture frames. Although you would have to frame that one on the mantel differently I think. How awesome would that look in a limed frame in a loose gallery wall with all the others framed in red. Love that. I will stop now :)

Miss T said...

wow. i love the duck egg blue one.:)

museumpiece said...

All white...how exciting! I would have no idea where to even begin doing that in my flat! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Brittany Noel said...

I know I'm way late on this, but I really love the red one and last blue turquoise-y ones. Either of those colors would look fantastic! I really can't wait to see what you do with this space. You have such a great eye for design.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin