Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blogging it Forward
Today I am delighted to be Blogging it Forward! 300 bloggers, are partaking in a chain letter of blog posts. Yesterday's post in my group was by Button and Bean. If you have been following along you will know that the theme is "What Inspires Me." Cafe Cartolina has always been a collection of things that inspire me, so this was an easy task. I decided to be completely self indulgent and to pull from my favourite posts in the last couple of years. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed putting it together. I'd love to know what inspires you - write me a comment way down at the bottom right after the 3 lanterns . . . . .

I'm inspired by Vintage ephemera:


Map from here, Above from John Derian
I'm inspired by decaying surfaces:

Elephant from Bella Luna
Above from Butik Sophie
These tile images are all from a fabulous collection by Rosa Pomar right here.

I'm inspired by vintage industrial anything:

Above images from "The Recycled Home" via Curious Sofa Diaries
Best shelving system on the market, above, from the Sundance Catalogue

Above from Cleveland Art - below from Style at Home

Above from Butik Sophie


I'm inspired by vintage storefronts:


I'm inspired by the colours and textures of other eras and cultures:

Above image by Kim Kyung Soo for Vogue Korea

Lastly I want to quote from my Blogger profile because I think it sums up my love for vintage . "I have a need to actively interact with vintage design - not just collect it and display it - it's a way for me to play with it and share it with others. Old steel engravings, lead type, wood block prints and hand written documents. I have a love of the old but a desire to be current. It's not that I am obsessed with everything old, it's just a reality, in the quest for artistic inspiration, that one will inevitably often end up back at the old stuff - you don't find inspiration at Walmart!
Don't miss tomorrow's post by Candied Fabrics. Thanks Victoria from sfgirlbybay for organizing the Blog It Forward Event.
Note: All of the images on this post have been seen here before - and credited before. If there is a particular image that you would like information on please email me - thanks.

31 comments:

Mlle Paradis said...

i stood up and cheered.

Anna said...

Absolutely magnificent!
It was like a magical journey!!!

Me salen alas (si me paras los pies...) said...

That original!! You, as always posting things so great.
Kisses

Rosa Pomar said...

Hi Fiona, I'm flattered that you like my photos of hydraulic tiles, but a mention or link would be nice... The photos were originally published here and alson on my blog.

Sónia said...

in fact Rosa´s search for hydraulic tails, as well as her work (and even her feet) are unique and so easy to recognise and really inspiring!

Fiona Cartolina said...

Hi Rosa - sorry I that I didn't identify your tiles on this post. I love your tiles and as you know the images are from previous posts that we done of your work. and in fact the permanent tile images on the left side of my blog gets so many hits - it goes straight to your images where you are fully credited. I try to always credit everyone's work - but because I was reposting stuff today I didn't feel it was necessary. Thank you for telling me.
Fiona

Julie said...

that was me falling off my chair after suffering from gorgeous-image-overload. Stunning post today!

Rosa Pomar said...

Thank you for your answer, Fiona. As I said before, I'm flattered you like my photos :)

marzi said...

i would kill for that black and red shelving! wowzers!

Susan Erickson said...

Loved seeing the picture of George in there! He is an inspiration...

Fiona Cartolina said...

Hi Susan - I'm so glad you spotted George in that picture - he certainly is an inspiration!
Thanks for the comment.
Fiona

crowjoy said...

Mmm, I am inspired by... your blog! Thanks as always.

Linda said...

Beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed that trip down memory lane. I still covet that elephant lamp.
Look how dashing George looks in front of the store. Great shot.

lejardengirl said...

well to start your blog inspires me each day..being a photoartist i love the vintage of objects but love the natural world as well,the need to bring them together is my muse. beth

dear pony said...

Thank you Fiona, I love all of these images.

Cate said...

What a great post! Patterns, patterns,patterns I love all of the patterns!and everything else too! Thanks Fiona

isabella whitney said...

inspiration is everywhere. yes, what beautiful patterns! i'm glad i stumbled upon your blog, it's just lovely.

Katie Runnels said...

what a lovely post- thank you! your work inspires Me!! xoxo

Lulu said...

i must say that out of all the posts i've read, yours is the one i can relate to the most. every part of it =] thank you so much for sharing what inspires you to all of us.

postcardsfromdreamland.blogspot.com

Rose said...

This is a great moment to let you know how much inspiration and tasty tidbits I have found both on your blog and from following the links you provide. Pretty much everything you post is in line with what I find lovely and inspiring about our world. Thanks for your commitment to creating this online inspiration board!!

ali said...

Fiona,
Your selections for this post are an excellent representation of your style and what you are about. Anyone seeing this blog for the first time could not help being drawn in, as I am every single morning. Good job!!

M and E said...

Gorgeous pictures! I loved looking through all of your inspirations!

Marisa Midori said...

Incredible photos! Oh to have a gorgeous old staircase like that.

Arcadia said...

wow, what great photos - old buildings are a fave of my too (i work in construction). thanks for sharing today.

Three Owls said...

I found the store fronts very inspiring and I may have to go into the sewing room and make a new village:) The pink patisserie is especially SWEET.

PakwaBlue said...

Wanted to respond to this yesterday but, as usual, time got away from me. As a fiber artist I am imspired by pretty much everything - but first and foremost would be color, particuarly the juxtaposition of colors. How fortunate I am - I get inspiration from your beautiful illustrations,an interior shot of furniture, a photograph of cupcakes...from pretty much everything I see! Thanks for your beautiful images.

Cate said...

Fiona, I really want those designs in the top picture on my tags!

Cristina Martins said...

Wow!
I am breathless!
I will go for a cup of tea and start all over again!
Thank you!
;o)

ks said...

Wow--this is so beautiful--and so you.
I may seriously print this out for an inspiration journal.
thanks again for your great work Fi!!

xxoo

le banc moussu said...

I love your pics. I've to go further here.
Hello from Paris.
Christian

the yellow house in the U said...

Love your post and want those cushions!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin