Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I have been meaning to post this for some time. This is a 17th century Dutch, handpainted miniature locket.  The locket comes with multiple mica discs of handpainted disguises that the owner can change as desired ~ transforming the portrait. Julie Reed sent me a link to this amazing treasure when she posted it on her fabulous blog Bricolage. I still can't get over how old it is and that the mica pieces have all survived. You must visit Julie's blog she often has great coverage of flea markets, antique shows and art fairs.


marzi said...

this is one of the craziest things i've ever seen! you don't often see things this old that seem to have a sense of humor behind them. LOVE it!

mamaslittlebabies said...

I adore this locket! I think I must do my own silly version of this piece. Thanks so much for this gem. xoxo

fancylinda said...

That's fantastic! I've never seen anything like it.

mari said...

I'm almost beyond words for this - unbelievable and I want one.

ks said...

I love all these comments!
It's so funny when you go to comment, and it's like the people before you were reading your mind as you read the post.
Never seen anything like it!
It's like a whole movie in a locket.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin