Monday, August 17, 2009

Shameless Self Promotion - Cartolina new releases.
If you have been following me on Twitter for the last couple of months you will have been privy to my own personal design angst - lucky you! From the realization that I needed to design a new Cartolina collection for the fall, to the moment that the truck showed up at the studio on Thursday and unloaded the almost 50,000 cards - it's been the usual rollercoaster of emotions that comes with being a professional artist. When I sit down to design a new collection(which happens about 3 times a year) I surround myself with beautiful vintage imagery and start the creative shuffle which hopefully, after about 3 weeks, will result in almost 50 new designs. Those 50 designs then get whittled down to a dozen and eventually, after hours of tweaking, end up at the printers in Vancouver. The printing process takes about 3 weeks during which time I manage to dig up a new detail to worry about everyday - did I pick the best images, are the colours bright enough, should I have made one more birthday card and one less thank you card? It all boils down to the moment that I open up the first box of finished cards . . . .


These are just a few of the new cards - there are 15 new in total. This print run went very smoothly and I am pleased with the new cards but it's not always a happy ending. . . there was the time when we opened up the boxes of new cards and found that they had all been scored with too much pressure and they fell apart, into 2 pieces, as we lifted them out of the box. There was the time we ordered 10,000 new notebooks and every single one of them had torn corners - and of course the time that 2 skids of new cards were delivered in an uncovered truck in a torrential downpour - that was a very soggy ending to thousands of cards. If you are a retailer and you would like samples of the new cards just email me and I'll pop some in the mail! And if you're a reader who'd like some new releases - stay tuned we'll have a giveaway very soon - maybe on Friday!

25 comments:

Love Honor Disobey said...

I love the 'Not older, wiser' one...much better to get this type of card rather than the usual 'ha-ha you are over the hill' kind that we usually get when we get to a 'certain' age. Nice work x

Sue said...

They all look beautiful!!! Congrats on a safe delivery! LOL

Shawn said...

Absolutely beautiful.Love them all....very nice work.

nathalie et cetera said...

These are so beautiful! The colors are gorgeous! Is there a place I can find them in Montreal?
I'll make sure I participate to the giveaway :)

Quilter422 said...

those are beautiful, and i'm glad for your sake that this truckload had no problems!

i just wanted to take a moment and thank you for having such a lovely blog to look at. it's become my to-go spot in the morning after i get up and before i'm ready to take on the world.

Italo said...

each day I visit your blog, each day I comment, with pleasure. Your cards are always very nice. :)

Michelle | Cicada Studio said...

Oh, an elephant! My favorite. They are all beautiful.

marzi said...

beautiful as usual! i've been trying to figure out which is my favorite, but i just can't manage to pick one! that's a sign of a very strong line! congrats!

Allison said...

Beautiful! I can't pick a favorite, they are all so pretty.

Stella Pesci said...

Beautiful...beautiful colors and imagery, very hard to choose a single favorite...I love them all! (And so glad they arrived to you safely...what horror stories you endured with those previous deliveries!)

AnnaVallance said...

Your new designs are awesome - love everyone of them.

Julie said...

Fiona, they're beautiful!!! I love the swan, but I'm really drawn to the reds in the bottom image too. Congratulations!

cartolina said...

Thank you so much for all the comments. I enthusiastically promote everyone else's art here at the Cafe everyday but I always get nervous to promote my own - to a jury of my peers - so appreciate the positive feedback - thank you!

fancylinda said...

I think you made all the right decisions. Every one is beautiful!

ks said...

they are gorgeous. the owl is breathtaking!
congratulations on your hard work.

Mari said...

Marzi beat me to it - I can't choose just one either, as I scrolled down I kept changing my mind!
The elephant is a nice addition though, love 'em.

Carey@Lasso'd Moon Designs said...

BEAUTIFUL as always! I LOVE the poppies!!

Hi Octane Jewelry said...

They look great.

cartolina said...

Thank you so much for all the nice comments! It really made my day to get such positive feedback from such talented people such as you!
Thank you,
Fiona

Linda said...

Beautiful. I love them all and I know the hours of work and worry that go into each card.
Fantastic job

daisy janie said...

Looking sharp Fiona! I really love this styling!! Congratulations! Those disaster stories of previous orders/deliveries made me cringe in my seat!!!

Alex said...

Nice interior design. Really creative

Suzanne said...

Just beautiful! Love them all! Especially the "wiser" owl one :)

Wendy said...

These are lovely. Congrats on the new run. How exciting!

nlawrence said...

LOVE the new cards so much I just spent a small fortune (don't tell my hb) on them at one of my favorite local shops who ironically had JUST put them out on the shelf HOURS before I arrived. I just wish she had the owl card...one of my favorites!!! Great to see you so successful Fiona...keep on soaring!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin