Monday, August 24, 2009

Scored
Yes I scored again! I got these from the local junk store that is going out of business much to my dismay. These are 3 sets of oak drawers that were the original post boxes at the original Post Office in Nelson in 1890. They are open at the back so that the post mistress could fill them with your mail from the back and you could open them with a key from the front. Each one has a number and a brass pull. each set has 6 drawers so we have 18 drawers all together. Might be a perfect display case for a store if a person ever thought they might open a store one day . . . . . . . 


11 comments:

Brittany Noel said...

I have always wanted something exactly like this! I'm so happy you were able to get this. Especially since it has so much Nelson history in it.

Candied Fabrics said...

Ooh Ooh! What a find!

carina said...

Score, indeed! It's a beauty and made even more perfect that it's from the original post office in your own town.

Anonymous said...

think I'd have needed to lay down with a COLD COMPRESS if such a find ever came my way .... F A B

if you score the owl bookends, we can no longer be friends! wish it were me who had them on hold!

all best

joodie in San Antonio
gjazaks@earthlink.net

Jen Comer said...

well done!

I am jealous. I've been scowering Victoria for months looking for a library card catalogue, but I never thought to search for a mail box piece...

Thanks!

Julie said...

Green with envy! Yup, that's exactly what I am right now. The mere thought of scoring something like this simply takes my breath away. :-)

AnnaVallance said...

What a great score! Lucky you. I am always on the lookout for this kind of stuff but no luck yet. But the search is so much fun.

Courtney said...

great find! just imagine the plethora of things you can do with all those little drawers!

cartolina said...

hey thanks for the comments everyone! These are very popular! They need a little bit of work but other than that they look great don't they? We are vaguely considering a store next year so I have been collecting bigger pieces that I think might work well in a store - I think these would be perfect!
Fiona

marzi said...

so jealous! love these more than you could possibly know! they'd fit right in with my stack of old card catalog drawers!

jen jafarzadeh said...

what an AMAZING find! love these drawers. junk shops are the best.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin