Thursday, August 13, 2009

Firstly I just want to say thanks to all of you who commented yesterday. It was really helpful and it was great to hear from all of you. {Did you know that when you comment there is a tiny box that you can check if you wish to be emailed any follow up comments?} For my part, I am going to make an effort to respond to your comments as often as I can and also I will remember to write comments on all of your wonderful blogs when I visit!

So I was scanning these yesterday for a collage I was making and I thought you might like them as much as I do. These are matchbox covers. They are very crudely printed which is one of the reasons I like them. Each one of them is like a strange little work of art. I have a lot of these - the ones printed in India are my favourites. You can still buy these very reasonably on Ebay - I picked these up on Portobello Rd in London.


Italo said...

Nice as always fiona! :D

Stella Pesci said...

Your posts are always filled with so many beautiful and interesting things...I do find that I get distracted by all the "shiny objects" and get absorbed in reading the links and then... where to start with leaving comments?! I'm overwhelmed with seeing so much beauty and creativity, but it's wonderful! I love that you take the time to share so much with us.

And your paper goods are a feast for the eyes...Bravo!

AnnaVallance said...

I have been collecting matchbooks for years and they are mini works of art.

Tracy @ comfortandluxury said...

Love the matchbook graphics. As Anna said above, they're like miniature works of art and I so appreciate that the artists took the time to make such a humble object attractive and interesting. And I'm curious... just what are the Swedish safety matches "impregnated" with?!

Carol Andre' said...

Love the matchboxes, Love your blog. Especially the interiors. I love the high ceilings too.
I'm afraid my art is totally different from this, but I think you might enjoy it anyway, just to see it.
I have to tell my daughters about your blog- the oldest loves retro- especially the 40's and
50's era stuff. I love antiques and so does my youngest daughter.
I'll be back!

Olivia Rae said...

awww those are so pretty! what a great thing to collect!

cartolina said...

Good morning! glad you like the matchbox covers(these are different from matchbooks which were introduced at a much later date so the images are not as old). I have some from the 1960s that are really interesting too. Thanks for the comments

Joan@anythinsggoeshere said...

I love each and every one of them. So bright and graphic.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin