Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year Everyone!
Just a short post today - I'll be back in full form on Monday next week! 
I spent some time with family over the last week and I was talking to my dad about design. My dad has a background in publishing,among other things, and we got talking about when he went to Scandinavia in the early 70's to meet with textile producers in preparation for redesigning the publishing facilllities at Collins, the publishers(now Harper Collins), in Glasgow. The reason we were talking about this is because my mum had recently found a bunch of samples of Marimekko fabric that he had brought home with him from their design house in Helsinki - and I was interested to see how similar the Marimekko designs from 1975 are to their current collections. Here's what I found on line:



It has taken me a long time to come to terms with design from the 1970's. I'd like to talk some more about this in the near future(maybe we could have design therapy for any of us who were teenagers of the 70's) - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a love hate relationship with anything orange and brown(mosty hate!) Marimekko makes it seem so much more sophisticated than I remember - how about you?

9 comments:

elena fiore said...

I love Marimekko! Great 2009 for you!

daisy janie : scoutie girl said...

How totally interesting! I love orange/brown/gold-yellow - it's hard for me to get away from it, like a comfort palette. I was in single digits in the 70s, maybe it has a pull for me b/c of fond memories in that time frame. But I also love the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s - but I depise the 80s (my teen years)!!!!!!

Brittany Noel said...

I totally agree with Daisy Janie about the 80s! Uck. I like brown and gold if it's done right. In the 70s, it was rarely done right!

Julie said...

I have to agree with you - I grew up in the 70's and don't remember ever seeing anything from Marimekko - then again, my parents were not on the cutting edge of design. I keep hoping we will move on soon - I couldn't wear hip huggers then and certainly can't wear them now either!
I think there is something to Daisy Janie's comment about liking certain eras depending on whether or not it was a pleasant time in your life - I know that for me, jr high and high school were not my favorite, thus, my extreme dislike for much of anything from then! I love stuff from the 20's and 30's - things my great uncle gave me - he couldn't wait to get rid of it as I suppose memories of the depression weren't so pleasant for him. Maybe now is a good time to sell some of my 70's stuff on ebay - I do have a beautiful Chrissy doll - remember her?!

cartolina said...

I was a teenager in the LATE '70's okay :-]

I have very strong visual memories of everything that surrounded me in the 1970s. Some of the early 70's fashions that my aunts wore - hippy stuff and early Laura Ashley was quite cool.

The '80s are a bit of a blur for me - I find it hard to define an 80s style - perhaps strong graphic shapes and colours on prints, gold and silver fabrics(tho that started in the mid 70s.)
I look back in horror at what I wore in the 80s but at the same time some of the neomantic fashions worn by the british New Age crowd was quite fabulously theatrical...

I wonder how many years have to pass for us to think fondly of the era we grew up in - or maybe it never happens if the era is the 70's ;-)

Thanks for your comments!
Fiona

{evy} said...

I just love it all. I am so totally a child of the 70's and was in awe of all the Mary Quant make-up (the colors and the containers, especially the lipgloss and nail polish!) and absolutely the Marimekko patterns. I'm incredibly influenced by all things colorful and bold and graphic from that era of design. Orange/brown maybe not so much though.

carolina bleu said...

your blog is quite lovely. so glad i found you.

hmstrjam said...

lovely prints!

daisy janie : scoutie girl said...

I had to come back to see what others thought! 80s to me were preppy, punk or miami vice... great comments!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin